Racing cars are quite different from usual cars, and their plug wire must be specialized and heavy-duty. Are you looking for the best spark plugs wires for a racing car? Do you want the best but also cost-effective and long-lasting?
I have sorted a list of the 10 best Spark Plugs Wires for Racing cars out of numerous options available in the market. Additionally, I discussed their features, benefits, and workability, and how they support a racing car.
Which Is The Best Racing Spark Plug Wire?
When purchasing automobile parts, getting one that meets all your requirements can be a bit tricky. Usually you’ll need to compare different products to know which one you should buy. But luckily, we’ve done all the research work for you. We’ve compiled details of the 7 best spark plug wires to help you judge and make your purchase.
1. Ford Racing M12259R301 Spk Plug Wire 45D Red
Ford is a trusted name in the world of automobile parts. The Ford Racing M12259R301 spark plug wire is one of the most reliable wires on the market. They are long lasting, durable and available in a snazzy red shade.
In each purchase you get 10 pieces of silicone cables with stainless steel terminals. These wires are designed to ensure low resistance and minimum spark loss. The stainless steel terminals offer you maximum connectivity while the silicone insulation will prevent overheating and other accidents.
These wires are made to replace OEM parts with the number: M-12259-R301. They are most compatible with 302 V8 engines.
- Ensures minimum spark loss and low resistance
- Wires are numbered for super easy and fast installation
- Long service life
- The cap may come off when uninstalling from the car hood
2. NGK CR5 Racing Cable Spark Plug Wire
NGK brings you CR5 racing spark plug wire with red silicone outer cover. These wires are designed for maximum heat resistance and durability. One added feature in this wire is the molded cap that keeps water out making it waterproof. You won’t need to be worried about accidentally ruining your spark plug or engine parts when washing them.
The ceramic resistor cap (5kΩ) protects the wire against RFI which keeps your engine safe from outer radiation. At the same time, the standard copper wire is built for maximum spark transfer to improve engine performance. Each package contains 1 wire which is 100 cm long. The wires will fit most model engines and spark plugs but in some cases it may be too long. They work best if coupled with NGK Iridium spark plugs.
To sum up, these wires give you high resistance to temperature, maximum spark and long term service, in an eye-catching, red silicone jacket.
- Waterproof and resistant to high temperatures
- Wires are designed to provide maximum heat resistance and durability
- Delivers maximum spark while ceramic resistor protects from RFI
- More expensive than other wires as each pack only has one spark plug wire
3. New Racing 9mm BLUE Spark Plug Wire Set Ignition Wire Set Replacement for Ford F-150 F150 Mustang 5.0L 5.8L, SBF 302
Enough of flashy red wires, now we’re moving on to pretty blue. Anxingo 9mm blue spark plug wire is the right choice for replacing your damaged wire set. These wires are high performance and resistant to fuels, oils and solvents.
Each pack contains 10, bright blue, long wires fit for long term, continuous use. They are designed to provide low resistance, minimum spark loss and silicone insulation. So overall, you’re getting maximum spark and voltage and resistance to high temperature. This makes the product long lasting and durable even in the face of most obstacles.
The wires are manufactured to fit: Ford Mustang 1964-1973, 1979-1995; Ford F-150 1979-1995 and Ford 5.0L 5.8L, SBF 302 Windsor. These wires only fit vehicles with a 5.0L or 5.8L V8 engine with ‘e’ or oil filled style coil and male studs on top of the distributor. They do not fit point ignition systems.
- Resistant to fuels, oils and solvents, so it is a durable product
- Delivers high amounts of spark with low resistance
- Silicone insulation and boots can withstand high temperature
- Fits only a limited number of models
4. NGK CR2 Racing Cable Spark Plug Wire, One Size
NGK CR2 Racing Cable spark plug wire is a high-performance replacement for your old wire. The package contains only 1 piece of 50cm long standard copper wire, covered by a 5k ohm resistor cap.
NGK CR2 spark plug wire is designed for high output and maximum spark transfer. They are made of copper so you can expect high electrical conductivity and heat resistance. This is just one wire though and it may not fit all engines.
- Facilitates maximum spark transfer
- High electrical conductivity and heat resistance
- Outer silicone jacket provides insulation and avoids overheating
- Only one cable with boot is included in the package, which makes the purchase a bit pricey compared to other spark plug wires
5. Spocoro 10mm Racing Spark Plug Wire Set Compatible with Corvette Suburban Silverado 1500 2500 3500 99-06 LS1 VORTEC 4.8L 5.3L 6L V8
Spocoro racing spark plug wires are designed to fit only a select few vehicles as they are OEM replacements. The wire replaces these part numbers: 89018056 88894395 89018058 118079 19297032 3162 51436 97093 CH7883 6718161.
These wires are recommended for select vehicles as well so you’ll need to check your car’s compatibility before purchase. These wires are manufactured to deliver maximum horsepower and to optimize your engine’s performance. The premium silicone boots and 10mm diameter silicone jacket protects the Kevlar spiral wound core from high temperature and moisture.
They are sturdy and suitable for long term use and can withstand extreme conditions. If they are compatible with your vehicle and OEM part then I’d suggest going for these wires when you’re looking for a replacement.
- Direct OEM replacement
- Can withstand high voltage upto 40,000 volts
- Spiral wound core prevents cross threading and overheating
- Can withstand extreme heat and humidity
- Only compatible with a select few models
- Installation instructions are not included
6. Cable Master Racing High Performance Spark Plug Wires Compatible with Toyota Paseo Tercel 1992-1999 1.5L L4 5EFE
Cable Master’s wires are always among the top choices when looking for OE replacement. They are made to facilitate extreme racing performance. Their kevlar core and nickel wire wound conductor provide high conductivity and maximum horsepower.
The double silicone jacket is covered with a fiberglass wire layer which makes the wire resistant to heat and reduces possibility of accidents. The wires are designed to suppress RFI.
The product replaces the OE numbers: 19037-20011, 90080-91110, 90919-21582, 90919-22369, RC-TE63. They are compatible with these vehicle models: Toyota Paseo 1992-1999, Toyota Tercel 1995-1999.
- Designed to maximize horsepower and reduce resistance
- They work as direct OEM parts replacement
- Strong mag construction core
- Superior RFI suppression
- Compatible with only a few vehicles
7. UPP – PROSTREET 250 – Red 8mm Silicone High Performance Racing Universal Spark Plug Wire Set – 250 ohm Wire Wound Core – 90 Degree Boots/Terminals Fits Chevy SBC BBC 283 350 383 400 427 454
PROSTREET red silicone high performance racing spark plug wire by UPP is one of the strongest wires on our list. It is engineered to be long lasting and durable. The wire terminals are made of stainless steel and brass so you get high conductivity and low resistance. The terminals are crimped by high tonnage presses so you get high application tolerance.
The silicone boots are resistant to high temperatures and resistant to oil. The high dielectric strength EPDM distributor boots are made to exceed SAE specifications. UPP wires are made to be used by active racers. They are bound to offer you a long term service.
- The wires are resistant to heat, oil and extreme conditions which makes them perfect for racing
- The braided aramid core is layered by highly conductive carbon-latex, which suppresses RFI
- The terminals are made of reliable, long lasting materials
- The product length may be too short in some cases.
- Provided installation instructions are not clear
Which Racing Spark Plug Wire Will Work Best For Me? – Spark Wire Buying Guide
You need to be well prepared and informed on what kind of spark plug your car uses and which wires are compatible with it when buying a spark plug wire.
When we’re talking about compatibility, it’s not just the vehicle you need to keep in mind. You’ll need to consider the engine model, the nature of the spark plugs, the wire diameter, material and other factors. For example, Cable Master and Spocoro on our list are OEM replacement parts. So they are compatible with only a few vehicles and replace a fixed number of OE parts.
Ford racing spark plug wire and NGK CR5 spark plug wires are more suitable for non-OEM replacement and they cover a large number of engine and vehicle models.
Number of Spark Plugs
The more spark plugs your vehicle has, the more wires you’ll need. In some cases, the wires can be split into multiple wires which will fit different spark plugs. Ford racing spark plug wire and Anxingo high performance wires are multiple wires that can be purchased together.
Then there’s some wires that are purchased separately to fit each spark plug. NGK CR5, CR3 all are single wires and individual sets need to be purchased separately to cover all spark plugs.
Material of the wire and cover
The wire’s core and cover material matter because these are the parts that determine the heat resistance and conductivity of the wires. Ford and NGK CR5 wires use silicone insulation as well as copper cores. This means these wires are good conductors and prevent melting due to heat.
Spocoro and Cable Master use Kevlar spiral wound core as well as double silicone jacketed insulation.
How Are Racing Spark Plugs Different From Normal Spark Plugs?
Racing spark plugs emphasize on quality performance and durability at peak speed ranges. This might mean they are less efficient at lower speeds. These spark plugs are built to withstand more mechanical and thermal shock. The electrodes in racing spark plugs are designed to enhance “sparking”. In some situations, racing spark plugs also increase horsepower as compared to regular spark plugs.
It is better to change your spark plug wires every 30,000 to 50,000 miles, no matter what the lifespan on them says. If you notice issues like rough starts, problems during acceleration, excessive fuel usage etc. it is safe to assume you’ll need to change your spark plug wire. But it is always better to get your car looked at by professionals to make sure you diagnose all its issues properly.
Regular care of your vehicles ensures a long run and that they are in top condition for a long time.
Greetings from James Milan. I am an Automotive enthusiast and car repairing expert for over 12 years. Blogging is one of my hobbies. According to my interest, I’ve started this blog to share my thoughts about the Automotive sectors and hope you’ll love it.